David R Sears
Doctoral student in Music Research (Music Theory)
- musical expectations
- music and emotion
- psychophysiology of emotion
- history of theory
- popular music analysis
McGill University (2008-present)
- Supervised by Professor Stephen McAdams and Professor William Caplin
- Tomlinson Fellow
University of Arkansas (2002-2008)
- BAs Music (emphasis in Theory) and English Literature
- Summa Cum Laude
- Undergraduate Thesis Title: Conceptual Synaesthesia: Deconstructing Perceived Boundaries around Music and Literature
- Research Thesis Title: Processing Surprise in Tonal Melodies
- MUTH 110 Melody and Counterpoint
- MUTH 111 Elementary Harmony
- MUTH 210 Tonal Theory and Analysis
- MUTH 211 Tonal Theory and Analysis II
- MUMT 250 Music Perception and Cognition
- Sears, D., M. Ogg, M. Benovoy, G. Zilberstein, and s. McAdams. 2010. "Are Bodily Responses Pre-Musical? Psychophysiological Applications to Music Analysis." In Proceedings of the International Conference of Music Perception and Cognition 11. Peer-reviewed abstract, Seattle, University of Washington.
- Sears, D. 2008. "Processing Surprise in Tonal Melodies." Inquiry Research Journal, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, AR: 16-23.
- Sears, D., W. Caplin, and S. McAdams. 2011. "The Perception of Cadential Closure in Mozart's Keyboard Sonatas." Invited paper presented at What is a Cadence? Theoretical and Analytical Perspectives on Cadences in the Classical Repertoire, Academia Belgica, Rome, Italy, January 17-19.
- Sears, D. 2010. "The Effect of Performance Features and Formal Repetition on Measures of Physiological Arousal." Paper presented at the 3rd Meeting of the Northeastern Music Cognition Group, Boston, MA, October 23.
- Sears, D, M. Ogg, M. Benovoy, G. Zilberstein, and S. McAdams. 2010. "Are Bodily Responses Pre- Musical? Psychophysiological Applications to Music Analysis." Paper presented at the International Conference of Music Perception and Cognition 11, Seattle, University of Washington, August 23-27.
- Sears, D. M. Ogg, M. Benovoy, and S. McAdams. 2010. "The Effect of Performance Features on the Psychophysiological Responses of Listeners." Poster presented at the BRAMS Annual Scientific Day, Montreal, QC, April 16.
- Sears, D., and H. Egermann. 2010. "Psychological Mechanisms and Psychophysiological Measurements." Presentation at the Workshop of Psychophysiological Measurement, CIRMMT, McGill University, Montreal, QC, April 23.
- Sears, D., A. Conard, and M. Vallieres. 2010. "Musical Materials in Time: Some Theoretical Approaches to Musical Form." Presentation at the Workshop on Structural Analysis of Music, CIRMMT, McGill University, Montreal, QC, March 26.
- Sears, D. 2008. "Processing Surprise in Tonal Melodies." Confounding Expectation: Music and the Unexpected Outcome. Graduate Student Conference, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada.